Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Wintergirls by Laurie Halse Anderson

Front Flap: Lia and Cassie were best friends, wintergirls frozen in matchstick bodies. But now Cassie is dead. Lia's mother is busy saving other people's lives. Her father is away on business. Her stepmother is clueless. And the voice inside Lia's head keeps telling her to remain in control, stay strong, lose more, weigh less. If she keeps on going this way- thin, thinner, thinnest- maybe she'll disappear altogether. In her most emotionally wrenching, lyrically written book since the National Book Award finalist Speak, best-selling author, Laurie Halse Anderson explores one girl's chilling descent into the all-consuming vortex of anorexia. Wow. I mean these types of books just make me depressed and like really try to understand how these girls feel and think. How she had the calories after every single food she ate. It's insanity. And like the way words just go together and swirl around weirdly and just capture you. Even sometimes it was confusing, it just made you think and realize how anorexia is such a problem, a disease hurting so many girls. It's really sad. And the way her friend Cassie was haunting her. The cutting, starving herself, the lies, the betrayal. It's so just intense. It reminded me of Skinny. It's sad, but I'm glad at the end she got help. I know alot of girls die from anorexia, and it's so heart breaking. I wish the world didn't portray how you have to be so freaking skinny to be famous and aprroved and hot. I mean I get caught up in it too. But she captures it perfectly. I def need to read Speak. But yes it was a book every young girl needs to read.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! :]