Thursday, August 27, 2009

The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini

Back Cover: "This powerful first novel... tells a story of fierce cruelty and fierce yet redeeming love. Both transform the life of Amir, Khaled Hosseini's privileged young narrator, who comes of age during the last peaceful days of the monarchy, just before his country's revolution and its invasion by Russian forces. But political events, even as dramatic as the ones that are presented in the Kite Runner, are only a part of this story. In the Kite Runner, Khaled Hosseini gives us a vivid and engaging story that reminds us how long his people have been struggling to triumph over the forces of violence- forces that continue to threaten them even today." The New York Times Book Review. This is one of the best books I've ever read. I mean, everything about it is raw, emotional, and makes you never want to stop reading. Sometimes reading it made me feel so scared and fearful. When Amir didn't help Hassan when Assef was raping him, it tore me apart. At first I wasn't sure if I understood what happened, because I don't know why a kid would rape another kid when they're both guys, but then they said it and I realized it was true. Another part that tore me up was when Amir discovered Sohrab in that bathtub. I thought he was gonna die and I felt like crying!! But thank goodness he survived. It was just so heartbreaking. The truth of it. How we just steretype them as a third world country when we know nothing of their culture. And those people are just like us. I can't imagine how it feels to live somewhere where you're too scared to go outside and have to make holes through your walls to go to other's houses. I mean, I've never felt that. and I know millions of people have, and it's extremely saddening. But I really loved this book. Look what words can do. There are so many books out there and so different and unique and all amazing. That's why I love to read!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! :]