Saturday, April 4, 2009

The Queen's Fool by Philippa Gregory

Hannah Verde escaped from Spain because she was a Jew and her mother was burned as a heretic. She is bethrothed to Daniel. They go to England and hide their Jewish faith to be safe hereh. Her dad has a printing press and makes books. One day a few gentleman come for books and then she sees a ghost. She is then deemed to have the Holy Sight. She ends up going to the court, and when King Edward dies and Queen Mary takes the throne, she becomes Mary's fool. She lives through many ups and downs with the queen, while having her own. Elizabeth, the daughter of Anne Boleyn comes into the picture. She seduces every man. While Mary cannot rule by herself she marries Phillip of Spain. Then Hannah goes to Daniel and her dad to Calais, Italy where they have escaped once again. But then she finds out Daniel had a baby with another woman. She is a fool and leaves him. Then finds she truly does love him, but she goes back to the court to see Mary dieing, and alone and lost everything. But all Hannah cares about is going to Daniel to show her true love for him, and they will live together with the son and follow their Jewish faith openly. Ok soo I probably kinda summarized that crappily haha hey, it's def much longer and more complicated than teen books. But I loved it, it helped that I've read The Lady Elizabeth, because I recognized some parts they both talk about, but I love these books, Learning about what they did back then and how it's so freaking different! But yeah, it's a good book and she's a good author. I def wanna read more of her books.

1 comment:

  1. I just read The Boleyn Inheritance by Philippa Gregory, which was amazing! You should also read The Other Boleyn Girl, which was even better. I'm glad you liked this one, and I'll have to look for it at my library.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! :]