Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Firefly Lane by Kristin Hannah

Back Cover: In the turbulent summer of 1974, Kate Mularkey has accepted her place as the bottom of the eighth-grade social food chain. Then, to her amazement, the "coolest girl in the world" moves in across the street and wants to be her friend. Tully Hart seems to have it all- beauty, brains, ambition. On the surface they are as opposite as two people can be: Kate, doomed to be forever uncool, with a loving family who mortifies her at every turn. Tully, steeped in glamour and mystery, but with a secret that is destroying her. They make a pact to be best friends forever, by summer's end they've become TullyandKate. Inseparable. So begins Kristin Hannah's magnificent new novel. Spanning more than three decades and playing out across the ever-changing face of the Pacific Northwest, Firefly Lane is the poignant, powerful story of two women and the friendship that becomes the bulkhead of their lives. For thirty years, Tully and Kate buoy each other through life, weathering the storms of friendship- jealousy, anger, hurt, resentment. They think they've survived it all until a single act of betrayal tears them apart... and puts their courage and friendship to the ultimate test. This was AMAZING!!! I LOVED IT! Wow. . . haha. I don't think I've ever read a book like it. Going through the whole lives of two best friends. I was reading it and felt what they felt, especially Kate. And it did give me fear of when I have kids and what they'll be like because I never had a rebellious stage like Marah did so I hope my kids won't either! But it was so emotional and realistic and there. How Kate and Tully met and how they went through sooo much together and were always there for each other, even in the end. I felt that jealousy and anger and fear. It was soo sad when Kate got cancer. I almost started crying because of how young she was and having your mom die before you especially how young they were is just so sad. I read in the back how she made it pretty personal to her life and you can tell while you're reading because going through something and writing about it is much before raw than making it up, even though that can be emotional too. I really love this book and want to read more from her.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! :]